- Happened: Tuesday, May. 23, 2023, 2:00 p.m. ET
Markup reporters Leon Yin and Aaron Sankin will demonstrate how you can use their step-by-step guide to test for inequities in internet access in your area. Sign up: mrkup.org/byod-rsvp
- Happened: Thursday, May. 26, 2022, 4:00 p.m. ET
In partnership with ProPublica
Join us to examine how private equity and shadow algorithms are contributing to the nationwide affordable housing crisis, explore potential pathways to change from a policy perspective and address tenants’ rights.
Registration Link: https://mrkup.org/qhKi2
- Happened: Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2022, 4:00 p.m. ET
As the educational technology industry grows, so does the amount of student data these companies amass. What can students do to protect their personal information? Mozilla’s Xavier Harding joined The Markup reporter Todd Feathers to find out at an event originally live streamed on March 29, 2022. This version is lightly edited to improve user experience.
- Toolkit: https://mrkup.org/EdTakeaway
- Presentation slides: https://mrkup.org/B2oy7
- Full transcript: https://mrkup.org/pdeXB
- Todd Feathers’ reporting: https://themarkup.org/people/todd-feathers
- Link to original video with chat replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfkkKKGi990
- Happened: Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022, 9:00 a.m. ET
We don’t take Facebook’s word for what’s happening on the platform—we prefer our own. Cheers to one year of accountability with Citizen Browser.
- Happened: Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021, 4:15 p.m. ET
Join host Xavier Harding Friday at 10 a.m. on Twitter Spaces to discuss the latest reporting from The Markup, the best practices in privacy tech, and new research from across the field. We’ll see you on Friday!
- Happened: Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021, 1:00 p.m. ET
Join The Markup for a panel discussion on measuring the spread of deceptive information, and learn about multiple ways to assess tech platform behavior.
- Happened: Friday, Nov. 20, 2020, 12:00 p.m. ET
Join us this Friday at noon ET to celebrate our new tool, Simple Search. Markup President Nabiha Syed will interview Maddy Varner, Leon Yin, and Adrianne Jeffries to discuss how search is—and isn’t—simple.
- Happened: Thursday, Sep. 24, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET
Join The Markup as we celebrate the launch of Blacklight with art, movement, music, and a conversation between Markup investigative data reporter and tool creator Surya Mattu and human rights technologist Sabrina Hersi Issa.
- Happened: Thursday, Sep. 3, 2020, 12:00 p.m. ET
A conversation with Julia Angwin, Editor-in-Chief of The Markup, and Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Open Markets Institute.
Barry Lynn’s writings on the political and economic effects of the extreme consolidation of power in the United States have influenced the thinking of policymakers and antitrust professionals on both sides of the Atlantic. Previously, he spent 15 years at the New America Foundation researching and writing about monopoly power.